Anime Chara Moll
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook and Twitter take steps to wipe the web of fake news

+6
Jerome Quenneville
Cainon
Anthony Thomas
Jayron Efferson
Damarcus Serrano
N (The Sexy King)
10 posters
Go down
N (The Sexy King)
N (The Sexy King)

Facebook and Twitter take steps to wipe the web of fake news Empty Facebook and Twitter take steps to wipe the web of fake news

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:19 pm
Facebook and Twitter take steps to wipe the web of fake news Facebook-twitter-640x0

In case you hadn’t noticed, fake news is a growing problem for social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, a reality that’s prompted the two companies to work with others to tackle the issue.

The pair have joined more than 30 other news outlets and tech firms – the New York Times, the Washington Post, and CNN among them – to deal more effectively with the proliferation of bogus news, and on a wider scale to improve the overall quality of information found on the web.

The move comes as social media sites play an increasing role in news dissemination via partnerships with traditional media organizations that in turn have to led to more and more web users hitting the sites for their news fix.

Set up by Google-backed FirstDraft, the newly formed network will work together to create a voluntary code of practice and also launch a collaborative verification system for journalists and social media companies to ensure the integrity of news reports.

Details about the project are slight at this stage, but if it ultimately leads to an increase in the reliability of online content for news junkies and other web users, then there’ll doubtless be a lot of pleased netizens out there.

Fake news comes in many forms, from news outlets inadvertently constructing erroneous content using hastily gathered material pulled from Twitter during a breaking news event, to scammers deliberately posting bogus news articles on a site laden with revenue-generating ads before hitting services like Facebook to generate traffic.

The latter is a growing problem – Facebook was embarrassed just a couple of weeks ago when one of its newly promoted algorithms greenlit a fake story – as hoaxers become increasingly creative in their methods.

In a FirstDraft article on the matter published in the spring, Craig Silverman outlined several ways in which fake news sites are evolving, including a trick where the same story about, say, a terrorist attack is posted multiple times with only the city name changed.

“The hoaxers publish the articles on one or several websites and then join Facebook groups focused on the locations cited in the hoaxes,” Silverman wrote. “Once accepted into the group, they share the link with all the members. This ensures a hoax about, say, Chicago is seen by people who live there. Those people click on and/or share the link with others in the area, thus driving traffic to the websites hosting the hoax.

“When it works well the hoax will go viral locally. If you create 10 or 15 of these articles, each about a different city, you can start to generate some decent traffic.”

Commenting on the formation of the network, FirstDraft managing director Jenni Sargent wrote in a post, “Filtering out false information can be hard. Even if news organisations only share fact-checked and verified stories, everyone is a publisher and a potential source.

“We are not going to solve these problems over night, but we’re certainly not going to solve them as individual organisations.”

As the long as The Onion isn’t adversely affected, its efforts are likely to be broadly welcomed.

Source:DigitalTrends

Last edited by N (The Sexy King) on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Damarcus Serrano
Damarcus Serrano

Facebook and Twitter take steps to wipe the web of fake news Empty Re: Facebook and Twitter take steps to wipe the web of fake news

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:30 pm
Stupid! I miss having a public social networking account like Google+, now I have only a microblogging account to spread non-existing news however it isn't really public yet cause their still in beta and back to the social networking thing, I want a free speech alternative to Facebook in 2016 without having any censorship BS.
Jayron Efferson
Jayron Efferson

Facebook and Twitter take steps to wipe the web of fake news Empty Re: Facebook and Twitter take steps to wipe the web of fake news

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:34 pm
Good thing I don't have a Facebook account and I don't have a private Twitter account anymore, I would have a hard time conversing the news topic on social media If I were still on Twitter.
Anthony Thomas
Anthony Thomas

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:35 pm
I'm so glad I ditched Facebook.
Cainon
Cainon

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:40 pm
I'm so glad I am not on any of those dump sites.
Jerome Quenneville
Jerome Quenneville

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:41 pm
This is why Facebook is garbage.
Nash
Nash

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:53 pm
The fuck!? This isn't news media.
Misumi
Misumi

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 pm
What a bunch of liberal dump sites.
Lonan Tomoki
Lonan Tomoki

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:58 pm
I'm glad that I never had a Facebook account and also I'm glad that I dropped Twitter from two years ago when it wasn't worth having it.
Ryland
Ryland

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:02 pm
I'm happy that I'm not on any of those leftist trash sites.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum